Tuesday 18 March 2014

What are you reading during Lent?

What are you reading during Lent?


My reading for Lent
I love Lent. It's my absolute favourite time of the year. I prefer Lent and Easter to Advent and Christmas. There's no stress involved; rather the opposite. Lent is a time for reflection, contemplation and giving up alcohol... well, for me anyway! It's Week Three and so far I am not craving a splash of the good stuff! 

In fact, I'm doing extremely well! Could this be the year I stop drinking altogether? I doubt it... I love a Vesper Martini and a drop of Chianti. But this could be there year that I seriously limit and reduce my alcohol intake!

But I digress. What I really wanted to know was what are you all reading during Lent? I always choose a suitable religious book to focus my mind and this year I decided to re-read Easter by Michael Arditti. It's a wonderful novel set in the fictional parish of St Mary-in-the-Vale during Holy Week. Arditti's novel explores what it means to be Christian for ordinary church goers in a society dominated by consumerism, suffering and cynicism. 

The parish of St Mary-in-the-Vale, Hampstead, is preparing for Easter. In his Palm Sunday sermon, the Vicar explains that Christ's crucifixion and redemption are taking place every day. He little suspects that, before the week is out, he and his entire congregation will be caught up in a latter-day Passion story which will tear apart their lives.

Doesn't it sound great? I'll write a fuller review once I've finished it.

So, what are you reading this Lent? Have your read Easter? if so, what did you think of it?

Until next time.

With best wishes
Matt the Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment