Wednesday 6 November 2013

Random acts of kindness

Random acts of kindness


Happy times on holiday!
It's the little things in life that bring the most pleasure. As trite as that sounds I believe it to be the absolute truth. Take the simple act of sending postcards...

As you know, I was recently on holiday (did I mention I had a wonderful time?) and decided this year to send a few postcards to friends at City Church. I rarely send postcards, apart from the obligitory Wish you were here to my parents.

I was quite taken aback at how well received the postcards were. When they eventually landed on the doorsteps I had texts and tweets thanking me for sending a postcard. Then, when I was in church, people came up to me to thank me and to say how delightful it was to receive something in the post that wasn't a bill! People seemed genuinely pleased that I thought to send a postcard.

Perhaps it was the surprise of receiving a postcard - very few people send them anymore - or maybe it was sheer pleasure to receive a little something from Matt the Elder? Whatever it was it was lovely to see such a small thing be so well received. It certainly put a smile on my face!

It encouraged me to do more random acts of kindness. This evening, for example, I went to the gym. On the way I saw my new Spin instructor so I told him how much I enjoyed his class last week and that I would make it a regular class. He seemed really happy and thanked me for the feedback. Then I saw the manager of the gym and I told him that the new timetable works well as it means I can come to the gym more often. Again, he seemed pleased to hear that.

Honestly, I've been handing out random acts of happiness like some kind of Pez Dispenser!

Such simple things really can cheer people up. Why not give it try? A postcard, a text or a pleasant word... you could be making someone feel very happy!

Have you any examples of random acts of kindess?What have you done lately that made someone's day?

With best wishes,
Matt the Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment