Sunday 13 October 2013

Amran Pillars and sunset in the desert

Eilat is very much a popular holiday resort in Israel. Parts of it remind me of some of those popular Spanish resorts. However, Eilat is not a cheap package holiday destination. Yes, the beach side bars are lively and the body-beautiful take their sunbathing and preening seriously but there is an abundance of high end restaurants and shops. We've dined like kings on this holiday!

Eilat is a great base for exploring the surrounding deserts and mountains. The views across to Jordan are wonderful.

I was feeling much better after my recent bout of 'travellers' belly' and decided to join a jeep tour of the Eilat Mountains.

Our guide was good fun and clearly had a passion for nature. We drove through the nature reserve and spotted flamingos, gazelle and the desert dragon - a desert lizard. I was glad that we didn't see any snakes as I have an unhealthy fear of these reptiles!

We took a short hike to the Amran Pillars which I was surprised to discover that they were natural formations caused by wind erosion! A truly magnificent sight!

We carried on our tour through the desert and passed hikers, hitchhikers, a family pitching their tent and a random man laying on an air bed!

Watching the sunset in the desert was such a beautiful experience. As we sat in silence watching the sun set I couldn't help but think how fortunate I am that I can have such fantastic holidays.

With best wishes,
Matt the Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment