Tuesday 8 October 2013

Next stop: Jordan!

For the last two days we have been an hour late for everything. Breakfast. Dinner. Tea. We didn't know this, of course. We were blissfully going about our holiday completely unaware that we hadn't set our clocks correctly.

The first we knew of it was when the hotel receptionist called our room at what our clock said was 0500 to inform us that our coach for the Jordan Highlights Tour was waiting outside! Turns out it was really 0600!

After a frantic wash and pack we were on the bus and on our way to Jordan.

Getting there

The excitement started at Israel and Jordan boarder control. Visas, taxes and two different currency later we were through!

I've never experienced land boarder control, only at airport and Eurostar. This this was completely new to me. It took up to 2 hours to cross the boarder into Jordan. Sadly we didn't have time to pick up a few bargains in the duty free shop!

I've really struggled to find anywhere with inclusive Wi-Fi and the price our hotels are asking for even one hour is surprisingly expensive. Quite frankly, 5 Jordanian Dinars for an hour is a rip off.

So I'm afraid I'll be giving you edited highlights of our tour and I'll wait to upload until we are in Tel Aviv for the free Wi-Fi!

Jordan Day 1

We traveled through Jordan to the Greco Roman remains at Jerash. Wow! The remains were incredibly well preserved and among the best I have ever seen. We spent about 3 hours here but you could easily spend a day exploring.

Our hotel was in downtown Amman. I was quite surprised at how modern Jordan's capital was. The tour guide informed us that it was very safe and we could explore Amman by night without any hassle. Considering we were up at 0600 and traveling all day we had food, some local wine and went to bed.

Jordan Day 2

Petra. Lonely Planet and Rough Guide could sum up Petra more eloquently than I. However, here's my opinion.

OMG! WHAT AN AMAZING PLACE!

I was overwhelmed with the beauty of Petra. Everywhere you turn you are confronted with such beautiful structures. Nothing could have prepared me for The Treasury or the Monastery. Wonderful sights!

Petra deserves a blog all of its own so I shall wait until I get home and share this trip in more detail.

Jordan Day 3

Our tour guide informs us that Day 3 is a Holy Day because we are visiting two holy sites. First up was St George's Church in Madaba, famous for the oldest mosaic map of The Holy Land. This was followed by a visit to Mount Nebo, resting place of Moses. The views of the Promised Land were breathtaking! 

I absolutely loved our three days in Jordan. But three days is not enough. I think you would need about a week or so to truly do this country justice.

Until next time,
Matt the Elder

Ps I'm blogging from my smartphone. Excuse the brevity of writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment