Saturday 26 April 2014

Easter at Manchester

I hope you had a wonderful Easter. I spent Easter weekend in Manchester and visiting family in North Wales. It was a bust couple of days and I wasn't sure whether we would have time to attend a church service. However, we were able to make time to attend the Easter Vigil service at Manchester Cathedral. And I'm very pleased we did. 



Manchester Cathedral


The cathedral is a magnificent building. Considering I've been to Manchester countless times (we've been attending Manchester Pride every year for the past 14 years) I have never visited the cathedral. 

We were blessed with gorgeous sunny weather (if a little cold) and the blossom trees beautifully framed the outside of the cathedral. Inside staff and volunteers were busy preparing for the evenings Easter Vigil. 

Given that my day job involves enhancing customer experience I'm always aware of the customer service I receive. I'm delighted to report that everyone I spoke to or overheard speaking with others were incredibly friendly and helpful. 


We spent an hour inside the cathedral exploring and sitting in contemplation. It was the ideal respite from the bustling city centre minutes away. In fact, we enjoyed our visit so much we decided to return in the evening to take part in the Easter Vigil. This proved to be a very moving 90 minutes with a most wonderful choir and cantor. The readers were also superb and made we consider whether I should prepare more for when I read at City Church!

Again, everyone was very welcoming and friendly. Lots of people were keen to offer the sign of peace and I particularly like the how the clergy enjoyed sprinkling water over the congregation. The kids loved it... and so did I!


Manchester Jewish Museum



Because of Sabbath, the Manchester Jewish Museum was closed on Saturday so we decided to pay a visit on Easter Sunday. I am so pleased we went as it was AWESOME! 

Honestly, it was hugely informative and we were completely engrossed in finding out about the history of Jewish life in Manchester. 

The curator gave a great 30 minute tour and we had a chance to hear audio recordings of Jewish people who had lived in Manchester. The exhibits also brought Jewish life in Manchester to life. It was utterly fascinating!


I'll admit though that I love an interactive museum so imagine my delight to discover that visitors are encouraged to get involved... I wasted no time transforming myself into Matt the rabbi (albeit temporary)!

We received a very warm welcome and excellent customer service from the curator and front of house staff which means we will be paying another visit when we're next in Manchester.

I'm already thinking about Easter weekend 2015. Recommendations of places to visit gratefully received!

Until next time.
Best wishes,
Matt the Elder

Ps - don't forget to LIKE us on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment