Saturday 1 June 2013

Bonhoeffer at Hay Festival

Filling the gaps in my Bonhoeffer library

Just a quick blog post about my recent purchases at this years Hay Festival.

As I've mentioned in other posts, Bonhoeffer is a bit of a hero of mine. I have read most of his works and lots of books about him. Whilst browsing the theology sections in a number of second hand bookshops at Hay-on-Wye I came across three books that I don't have.

1. The Place of Bonhoeffer, edited by Martin E Marty, SCM Press, 1963


Eight American theologians assess the place of Bonhoeffer's theology in 20th century Christianity. Looks like a decent assessment of Bonhoeffer the theologian.

2. The Life and Death of Deitrich Bonhoeffer, Mary Bosanquet, Hodder and Stoughton, 1968


The title pretty much sums up the content... Bosanquet spent five years writing about the life of Bonhoeffer. From the back cover, it would appear she's a bit of a Bonhoeffer fan.

3. True Patriotism: Letters, lectures and notes from the Collected Works: volume III, edited by Edwin H. Robertson.


"These letters, lectures and notes show that the theologian, the conspirator, the prisoner were all the one man, one of the greatest figures of our age." Blimey, I'm hooked already!

I shall read and review each book over the coming months. Be sure to keep an eye on the blog.

In the meantime, have you read any of the books mentioned above? What's your favourite Bonhoeffer book? Do share!

With best wishes,
Matt the Elder


No comments:

Post a Comment