Sunday 16 June 2013

Road Trip 2: Synod Day!

What goes on at Synod Day...


Excerpt from The Secret Diary of Matt the Elder aged 34 ¾

Saturday 8 June 2013

Synod Day, pt 2

1216: After a great start to Synod Day I turn to the Minister and his Wife to get their thoughts. They are no where to be seen. 

1220: Unsurprised to see the Minister heading up the lunch queue. 

1236: Finally get my lunch. Struggle with the paper plates and wooden cutlery. I wonder whether the organisers were expecting violent difference of opinions from the Christians? Perhaps there have been some fisty-cuffs in the past? 

1245: Eat my lunch at the picnic area. Families watch on as junior church run around and play games. Aww, they all look like they having such fun. 

1246: Decide to take a stroll and seek solitude. All this frenetic energy is giving me one of my heads.


Royal Welsh Dude Ranch.

1330: First of the afternoon workshops starts. 13 people in attendance. Digital filming. In my head I'm shooting The Last Temptation of Matt the Elder, starring... me!

1332: Kevin introduces himself. He's leading today's session. Kevin also asks if we brought our digital cameras with us. I regret not reading the workshop description in more detail.

1335: Surprised at all the high-tech equipment on the table. Who said older people are not tech-savy?!  The lady next to me whips out her Mac book, digital camera and selection of SD cards. I place my camera phone on the table. Reminds me of the knife scene in Crocodile Dundee:

"That's not a knife...this is a knife!"

1350: Kevin teaches us some useful filming techniques. I lost my pen so I made some mental notes.

1355: Kevin asks for volunteers. I raise my hand confident that my previous media training will hold me in good stead for this. "Talk about your experience of Synod Day so far, Matthew." I go blank. Mumble something about it being a really good day and how much I'm really enjoying the day and it's all really good. Groan!

1400: Time to practice our new digital filming skills. I partner up with The Lady with the MacBook. I am determined to produce a masterpiece. We have 20 minutes.

1403: Me and The Lady with the MacBook rush off to scout locations. I send her one way while I rush off in the other direction. I tell her I'm looking for dramatic backdrops, depth of scenery and panoramic views. 

1405: I veto a shed and some buildings as lacking Oscar worthy cinematography . 

1407: We settle on using a hedge with a statue on the background. Time was our enemy. 

1410: I interview The Lady with the MacBook and we review the footage. My camera phone is not up to the job. Microphone didn't pick up any sound apart from the wind. 

1411: We have a back-up plan, namely, a top of the range digital camera courtesy of The Lady with the MacBook.

1415: I nail the interview in one take! YES! I doubt Huw Edwards could have done a better job.

1420: We return with our footage. Kevin loves it and asks if he can use my interview in his own Synod Day video. I beam. Of course, Kevin. Of course!

1430: Fuelled by my brush with fame, I head off to my next workshop. Social Media! I feel confident this is an area I excel in. I am, what some have called, a heavy Facebook and Twitter user!

1433: Someone asks, "How do you use Facebook security settings?"  I realise this workshop is not pitched at my level. 

1438: "So, if I 'Tweet' does that mean everyone on 'Twitter' can see my 'Tweet'?" 

1441: We show each other what smart phones or tablets we have. I take the opportunity to check Facebook and Twitter

1446: Just arranged a night out when we get back to Cardiff. I LOVE social media!.

1500: David, who is leading this session, shows us some examples of churches who use Facebook. Some are very good. He then picks City Church. Oh the shame! We are hardly a glowing example of engaging with Facebook.

1501: Oh no! City Church Facebook page pops up and who's the last person to post anything on there? ME. A link to my blog. I pray that David doesn't click on my name. My current profile picture is a photo of me with Will and Kate... at Manchester Pride... only it's not really Will and Kate... it's a drag queen and his boyfriend! I say nothing.

1515: David shows us a superb church and social media video! It's wonderful! I feel completely inspired. I must speak to our Minister about a social media strategy for City Church. Take a look at the video:


1530: Workshop ends. Well done to David for leading the workshop. It must have been difficult to find the right level in which to pitch the discussion.

1531: Back to main hall for the final service and communion. Two more people from City Church are asked to read. I feel so proud that we have contributed so much to the day.

1545: Start getting a little edgy at the way communion is going. Is that a shared cup? Oh, I'm not sure I can drink from the same cup as lots of other people... 

1549: In the queue to receive communion. I see germs... all over the cup. What is the etiquette for refusing the cup? 

1551: The cup gets wiped after each person sips. My turn. I place my lips slightly off centre to avoid the main sipping point. I prefer the approach City Church takes. Small individual glasses which is served on a tray. 

1600: Final prayers and we are done! Lots of smiles, hugs and hand shakes. Clearly, lots of friendships are made at Synod events. The mood is upbeat and jovial. Everyone seems to have had a good day.

1602: I make my way to the bus. I thoroughly enjoyed Synod Day and would definitely go again! 

1604: On the bus, Time for a power nap after a stimulating day.

If you've never been to Synod Day, I would highly recommend it! Have you been? What's your experience? Do share!

With best wishes,Matt the Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment