Thursday 18 July 2013

5 things your church can do to welcome visitors

"Thou shalt not steal ideas from other churches..."


Previously, I blogged about my recent holiday to Cornwall. I also mentioned that as I visited a number of churches on my hiking route I picked up a few ideas of how they welcomed visitors. I thought I would share with you my top five favourite ideas.


1. Welcome cards on pews



 I spotted these at St Andrew's in Tywardraeth. They were perched on the end of each pew and on one side was a welcome message and on the other was two short prayers and contact details of the Parish Priest.

I particularly liked the comment about not worrying if you've not visited before and don't know what to do! How reassuring - we've all been in those situations!

The welcome cards were delightful. I sat down, rested my weary feet and quietly said the prayers. Although no one else was in the church (apart from the Big Fella) I felt very welcome. In fact, after I read the card I had a big smile on my face.

It's the little things that leave a lasting impression.




2. A Visitor's Guide



Granted, this is not a new idea. Lots of places have visitors guides but I'm not aware that City Church has ever produced one. I often pick one up as a memento of my visit to a particular church.








3. An introduction to Christianity



I spotted this at Fowey Parish Church. A very engaging introduction to Jesus and Christianity.

This display placed opposite the main door and was very eye-catching. I loved the illustrations and commentary. A really nice touch, I thought.






4. Contemplative tour of the church



 Fowey Parish Church have clearly thought long and hard about what makes a church a tourist attraction. Here's another idea from them, a contemplative tour of the church. Each panel gives an explanation about aspects of the church, a Bible quote and a prayer. 

It was all very well thought out and we spend about 40 minutes following the tour.














5. Just Giving - text a donation



Another idea from Fowey Parish Church. Not everyone has change on them but most people will have a mobile phone. Just Text Giving is a quick and easy way of donating without rummaging for loose change. Brilliantly simple!






What do you think of these ideas? Have you had any success in your church adopting these or similar ideas? What works for you? Have you spotted other ideas? Please do share in the comments below.

With best wishes,
Matt the Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment