Wednesday 24 July 2013

Officially Matt the Elder

There's no going back...


With the laying on of hands, my transformation into Matt the Elder was made complete. I even have a certificate to prove it!

Let's start at the beginning... Picture the scene. Cardiff was basking in glorious sunshine. The people of Cardiff were smiling and happy and there was not a cloud in the sky. Yet, unbeknown to many a momentous event was about to take place at City Church...

It may have felt like an ordinary Sunday service but half way through a crack team of elite Elders stepped forward  for their ordination and induction. These brave few stood in front of their congregation, the very people who elected them, and pledged their allegiance to serving City Church

Our instruction was simple. Come forward when the offering is brought forward. We were to take a seat in the front row. Easy.  Alas,  someone missed their cue? 

It was me! 


The Minister's Wife had one job...
I was faffing with my camera phone as I had asked the Minister's Wife to take a few snaps of the ordination. Whoops!

As you can see, somehow the Minister's Wife managed to alter my camera setting to 'record' and filmed her walk back to her seat. 

Note to self: do not ask the Minister's Wife to take any more photos!



Ordination and induction


Back to the service... The ordination and induction consists of seven elements:


  • Introduction
  • Statement of Purpose
  • The Nature, Faith and Order of the United Reformed Church
  • Affirmations
  • Ordination
  • Induction
  • Declaration of Induction


The Affirmations that we were asked to make were as follows. The Elder's said the bold type.

Do you accept this statement and confess again your faith in one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit?
                                   I do.

In dependence on God’s grace do you reaffirm your trust in Jesus Christ as saviour and Lord and your promise to follow him and to seek to do and to bear his will all the days of your life?
                                   I do.

Do you believe that the Word of God in the Old and New Testaments, discerned under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, is the supreme authority for the faith and conduct of all God’s people?
                                   I do.

Do you accept the office of elder of the United Reformed Church in this congregation and do you promise to perform its duties faithfully?
                                   I do.

As I was the only person who has never been an elder before, I had to kneel at the alter step while the Minister and two current elders laid hands on me.

This was a completely new - and strange - experience! To be honest, the laying of hands felt a bit pentecostal and I was half expecting a Gospel choir to start singing the Bon Jovi classic Lay Your Hands on Me! Sadly, that didn't happen. 



If only the ordination was this sexy...

I did, however, feel for the three people who were laying hands on me. Little did they know that 45 minutes earlier I was sweating it out at Pilates Bootcamp and then cycled to church. There are, sadly, no showers at City Church and while I had run a comb through my tousled locks, I did have a sweaty head. Apologies guys!

And with that I was handed a certificate which made my Eldership official!

It was a wonderful experience. I really felt part of something special and with most of the church community watching I felt a great sense of responsibility to serve them as best I can. What an absolute privilege!

What's your experiences of laying on of hands? Have you been ordained and inducted? What were your experiences. Please do share in the comments below.

Until next time...

With best wishes,
Matt the Elder



No comments:

Post a Comment